The Chilliwack & District Agricultural Society (The Fair Board) was incorporated. It is one of the oldest societies in B.C. and the second oldest continuously running fair. In 1886 The Fair Board purchased 4 acres of land from Mr. Isaac Kipp for $872.50. The Fairground was established as the block bounded by Wellington St., Mary St., Princess Ave., and Edward St.
The Fair Board purchased 22.63 acres from William Hodgins and the Fair moved to Spadina Ave. The racetrack was built and soon gained the reputation of being the best winter training tack in Canada.
The Fair Board purchased a group of lots adjacent to Corbould Street from the City.
The Fair Board was having trouble paying the property taxes so the property was turned over to the City for $1699 – the approximate amount of the debt. There was an agreement that the Fair Board would forever be given year-round offices, storage space, and the exclusive and free use of the grounds to put on the annual Fair. It was also decided to build Civic Centre and the Fair Grounds was seen as the appropriate place.
The City wanted to put a roof on the Coliseum to be used for skating. The property was returned to the Fair Board, which was eligible to receive grants from the Federal and Provincial Governments and the Coliseum was finished. The property was then returned to the City and Municipality. The Coliseum was used for many years for skating and hockey until it was replaced by Prospera Centre.
It was decided that the Fair property should be used to build a recreational and sports facility to be located on Lickman Rd.
The Fair moved to the current location at Heritage Park on Lickman Rd.
140th Anniversary Celebration.
Canada’s 150th Birthday.
30 Years of the Chilliwack Rodeo.
148th Anniversary Celebration and the 1st Chilliwack Virtual Fair