ENTRY FORM DEADLINE: Friday, July 28
EXHIBITOR’S ENTRY DATE: Thursday, August 10 between 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. Entries brought after this time cannot be judged.
Section A Eggs, Scarecrow class 9, 12, Section C Fun things, and Section F Zucchini Race – $1.00
Scarecrow Classes 7,8,10,11 – $0.50
PRIZE MONEY: 1ST – $5, 2ND – $4, 3RD – $3
PRIZE MONEY for Scarecrows: 1ST – $15, 2ND – $12, 3RD – $10
SPECIAL AWARDS: Scarecrow, class 11 and 12:
Traditional Scarecrow – 1st place: $50 gift certificate from Chilliwack New and Used Building Materials Inc. www.chilliwacknewandused.ca
Recycled Scarecrow – 1st place: $100 gift certificate from Chilliwack New and Used Building Materials Inc. www.chilliwacknewandused.ca
Rosettes: Best in Show, Most Points
$25 gift certificate from Castle Fun Park for Most Points
• No exhibitor is allowed to submit more than one entry in the same class.
• You must present your claim tag to collect your exhibit and prize money, which will be released Sunday, August 7 at 5 p.m. Produce not claimed by 6 p.m. will be disposed of unless arrangements have been made with the Convenor. After Sunday, items will be available in the Fair Office 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. until Thursday, August 17. The office will not be staffed after this date. See instructions in Notice to Exhibitors.
SECTION A: EGGS (Open to all ages)
1. One dozen eggs – Bantam
2. One dozen eggs – Brown
3. One dozen eggs – White
4. One dozen eggs – Any other colour (e.g. – blue/ green, dark brown, speckled)
5. One dozen eggs – Mixed colours (any combination of mixed colours)
6. One dozen eggs – Quail
SECTION B: SCARECROWS
Description of classes:
Traditional Scarecrow – Can occupy a 4’ in diameter area and should have gardening products displayed at the foot. Scarecrow should be free standing and must use straw.
Recycled Scarecrow– Example of recycled objects and items: plastics, metals, wood, clothing, bags, plants, garden tools, machine parts.
7. Traditional Scarecrow – Pre-teens (Under age 12)
8. Traditional Scarecrow – Teens (Ages 13-18)
9. Traditional Scarecrow – Adult, (Age 19 & Over)
10. Recycled Scarecrow – Pre-Teens (Under age 12)
11. Recycled Scarecrow – Teens (Ages 13-18)
12. Recycled Scarecrow – Adult, (Age 19 & Over)
SECTION C: FUN THINGS (Open to all ages)
13. Corn Contest– Submit one cob of corn with husk and silk intact (no peeking). Cob will be opened by the judge and assessed according to growth pattern, maturity, appearance, and taste.
14. Largest Maple Leaf
SECTION D: ANNUAL ZUCCHINI RACE
CONVENOR: Kim Hunter
ENTRY DEADLINE: Friday, August 10
ENTRY FEE: $1.00
15. Age 6 & Under
16. Ages 7-12
17. Ages 13+
DATE & TIME:
Saturday, August 12, 12:30 pm, Bdg. #1.
If you’ve never done so, and even if you have, Google ZUCCHINI RACES and see what you’ve been missing. This year at the fair we intend to make up for that by holding our Sixth Annual Zucchini Race during the exhibition. It should be a lot of fun, especially for those who participate. There is no need to register early, but an entry fee of a “loonie” donated at the time of entry will create a donation to be given to local charity. Zucchini Race Cars must be submitted for judging no later than 12 noon on race day, which will be Saturday (and perhaps Sunday if the race cars survive the first day, or sufficient people indicate a desire to build and/or rebuild for another event). Awards may be given for the best decorated and fastest race cars.
ZUCCHINI RACER SPECIFICATIONS:
1. Race car must be made of a real zucchini and must be the main part of the entry. The zucchini racer may be no wider than 12”, including wheels and decorations.
2. Wheel axles must be incorporated into the zucchini itself. It’s not acceptable to just attach a zucchini to an existing “vehicle” that rolls. This means no attaching a zucchini to a skateboard, roller skate, toy car, etc.
3. Zucchini racer must have 3 or 4 wheels. Wheels can be any type – wooden, metal, vegetable, or plastic.
4. The front wheels must be independent of the rear wheels.
5. Each racer must be self-propelled – no motors or auxiliary propulsion!
6. Please create a zucchini racer sturdy enough to compete in multiple races.
There will be three classes: One for those 6 and under, one for 7-12 years, and another for everyone else. Clearly, it’s the more the merrier.